Thursday, September 28, 2017

How to Connect With Someone Over the Phone on LinkedIn


If you want someone to return your calls and open up a dialogue with you, you have to come from a place of service.



How many times have you come across a LinkedIn profile and wanted to pick up the phone and talk to that person but were afraid of making them think you were selling them something or finding out that their calls are screened?


Well, let me tell you a secret: I call people all the time on LinkedIn, and this is what I say:

“Hi (name), my name is Rhonda Sher. I found you on LinkedIn and I just sent you an invitation to connect. The reason I’m calling you is I’m not selling anything, but I looked at your profile and I think I know someone who would be a great resource for you and I wanted to learn a little more about your business to see if an introduction might be something that would be beneficial for both of you.”

It always starts with giving.

You would be amazed at how using those words ”I’m not selling anything” opens the door to getting people to return your calls and open up a dialogue with you. You have to come from a place of service—a place where you genuinely want to help somebody.


Oftentimes, you’ll see headings on people’s profiles telling you that they’re hiring or they have a specific need. If you know somebody who would be a good referral for them or a resource that could benefit them, pick up the phone. Sure, you could send a message, but those can get lost in a sea of other messages. You don’t know if that person is a part of the 40% of people who are active on LinkedIn or the 60% who are, as I like to say, in “long-term parking.”


My challenge to you is to find one person every single day you can call who either is a connection or will be one and think of how you can be of service to them. Open up the dialogue and see where it goes. Remember, it always starts with giving!

If you have any questions opening up a dialogue with someone on LinkedIn, don’t hesitate to reach out to me. I’d love to help you.

No comments :

Post a Comment